Monday, February 11, 2008

Leaving my mark: Litter and reusable bags

My comment in response to Sarcatic Mom's post about how we can all make a difference in our communities by simply picking up some litter while out for a walk or carrying reusable bags when shopping for produce.

Thanks for posting the link to the OneStringBags. I love love love my reusable shopping bags and am always looking for more for myself and loved ones. Plus, I happen to adore sewing and making bags, so this is right up my alley! Can’t wait to try making some.

Regarding trask pick up:
Every time I sit at the red light at my community’s entrance/exit, I glare at the trash people’ve dumped in the landscaping. It’s always irritated the poop out of me, but this last month or so it’s really gotten my blood pumping. You see, our neighorhood association applied for and received a beautification grant from the county to help pay for pretty, drought-resistance shrubs, trees, etc. And some folks took the time to dig out the old stuff and plant the new. And what do these ungrateful idiots do? Within two days, there were cigarette butts, soda cans, beer bottles, etc., scattered throughout the new plants.

Anyway, the solution? I’ve gone, and will again go, up the street (just a little farther than I normally go with the dogs anyway), place these “trashables” in a garbage bag, and take them home. Neighbors look at me like I’m That Crazy Plastic Bag Lady, but I don’t care. Maybe I’ll guilt them into helping, or at least littering less.

Check out Sarcastic Mom's post and leave your mark.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones