Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Smudge of Dirt


Laissez les bons temps rouler!

It's coming down to the wire. Less than an hour left to splurge before Lent begins, and I've yet to decide what to sacrifice this year...

Thinking of going to Mass every morning before work, or maybe praying the Divine Office each day, or some sorta fasting (beyond one meal and no meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays).

That would cover two of the three tenets of Lenten sacrifice: prayer and fasting. The ubiquitous Rice Bowl covers the third: almsgiving.



I just don't think giving up chocolate or Diet Coke is gonna cut it. We're grownups now, kids! Guess I better start trying to act like it.

One list suggested putting a popcorn kernal in your shoe to facilitate some suffering. I read about a guy who gave up his bed and slept on the floor!



For me, getting up super early, not hitting the Snooze button, and forcing myself to make quiet time for prayer would be a big sacrifice - and can only be a good thing, no?

Maybe I should give up Facebook! Naw, can't; need it for work. Oooh, texting. That I could give up, and cell phone apps, too. Would force me to be more "present," I'm guessing (more on that later). Hmm...

Anyone else sacrificing something for Lent? Ideas?

...Now, any guesses on how long it'll take before someone at work tomorrow tells me, "You have a little somethin' on your face there."

*sigh* No, it's not just a smudge of dirt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see someone who "gets it", and is passionate about her faith. Love you for your passion, Judith.
I'm excited to read more about your quest to Live In The Present. I'm wondering if you might mean to Be More Present In This Moment?
Love you.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones