1. indefinitely or exceedingly small; minute: infinitesimal vessels in the circulatory system.
2. immeasurably small; less than an assignable quantity: to an infinitesimal degree.
3. of, pertaining to, or involving infinitesimals.
4. an infinitesimal quantity.
5. Mathematics. a variable having zero as a limit.
"Infintesimal gradations" is one of the many suggested solutions-to-any-problem provided by the deck of cards known as Oblique Strategies. Others suggest, "Use filters," ""Go slowly all the way round the outside," and, one of my personal favorites, "Trust in the you of now." Hmm, fairly deep for a deck of cards, no?